Time: 1 pm eastern
Run Time: 90 minutes including Q & A session
Leader: Brad Lebowsky, MBA, Nonprofit Consultant
Credits: Awarded 1.5 credit hours by HRCI and 1.5 PDCs by SHRM
Price: Webinar $295; Webinar + Download $349 (Share the download with your colleagues)
Audience: Executive directors, CEOs, senior executive staff, board members, marketing officers, in-house counsel
Nonprofits struggle with finding and retaining new donors. And once a new contributor is found, industry data reveal the difficulty organizations have converting their new donors into repeat contributors. On average 80 percent of all first-time donors never make a second contribution. This means organizations are continuously marketing for new donors just to replace the first-time contributors they lose. In fact, fundraising may even be unprofitable when all the related new donor marketing costs are considered.
Rather than face the constant churn of new donors, the goal should be to retain as many of your first-time donors as possible. Again, industry statistics show that 60 percent of all first-time donors who make a second contribution become loyal, long-term, repeat contributors. Retaining donors is significantly more productive financially than continuously searching for new contributors. There are also other benefits including: a more predictable flow of contributions, likely declines in related marketing costs, and the added benefit of having a wider and more enthusiastic group of supporters in your community.
The objective should be first to find the new donors you need to carry on your mission, and next to convert them into long term, repeat contributors. This can be accomplished by implementing a targeted new donor marketing and retention program. Brad Lebowsky, a nonprofit consultant with decades of fundraising experience, will discuss donor acquisition and retention utilizing proven industry best practices which when implemented will greatly improve the odds that you’ll be able to turn your new, first-time contributors into long-term, loyal repeat donors.
During this important webinar Mr. Lebowsky will discuss:
- How to identify potential new donors like employees, family, friends, referrals and more
- The most successful marketing channels and best practices for finding new donors
- New donor marketing costs. Benchmarks for measuring the success of your new donor marketing program
- How to calculate your organization’s new donor retention rate
- A 4-step program based on best practices for turning first-time donors into long-term repeat contributors:
- Making personal contact with each of your new donors shortly after receiving their first contribution
- Sending a welcoming gift/packet to every new donor
- Demonstrating to the donor the impact of their contribution
- Maintaining contact with the donor after receiving their initial contribution
- Requesting the second contribution
- Adapting the 4-step retention plan for your current repeat contributors
- Choosing the right person to be in charge of the program and become the primary contact for contributors
Brad Lebowsky earned his MBA with an emphasis on nonprofit management specializing in finance and budgeting. Brad has more than 30 years of nonprofit management experience and is a sought-after speaker, author, educator, and nonprofit consultant. His areas of expertise include budgeting, finance, grant writing, strategic planning, board training, retention of donors, employees, volunteers, and professional development. He also has a podcast, The NEA Podcast, which is available on YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, and Podbean.com. Brad can be reached at Brad@4NEA.com. As a speaker, author, educator, or consultant his overriding goals are to grow people, communities, and resources for nonprofit organizations across the country.